town & Bodicote, 1946
Scan from paper copy of Ordnance Survey One Inch Map Sheet 145.
The Banbury of 1946 is not dramatically different to the town of 1833. The most noticeable developments are:
- "New" Grimsbury (to the south of what was Grimsbury in 1833 - around 500 houses were built between 1852 and 1881, in Middleton Road, Causeway, Merton Street, Duke Street, and North Street),
- the mainly Victorian expansion of Neithrop (Queens Road, Park Road, the extension of Bath Road, and the inter-war Kings Road housing),
- new housing built in Ruscote in 1933 on Cromwell Road, Abbey Road and around Ruscote Avenue,
- and the Easington development (Springfield Avenue, Grange Road, Farmfield Road, Horton View, Easington Road, Ruskin Road and Wykham View), built after the First World War by Banbury Town Council.
Much of the housing built after the First World War was a result of older houses in the town centre being declared slums and uninhabitable.
Other points of interest are: the Rifle Range and Hotel off the Bloxham Road; the Horton Hospital (built in 1872); Southam Road Cemetery; the Cross; the hamlet called Neithrop Fields on the road to Drayton, and the Aluminium Factory, so important during the Second World War, standing alone in the fields to the north of Banbury, with its own railway line.
Most maps used on this site were published by the Ordnance Survey and are reproduced here under licence 100053496 for educational and research puposes only. Contact webmaster.