town & Bodicote, 1833
Scan from paper copy of Banbury sheet no 61 - reprint of the first edition of the one inch Ordnance Survey of England and Wales,
originally published at the Tower of London on 1st October 1833 by Lieut. Colonel Colby of the Royal Engineers.
Here is Banbury
in 1833, a couple of years before Queen Victoria came to the throne. Although
just a fraction of the size of the modern day town, we can still see its
importance as a centre of trade and transport, having not one but two railway
and railway lines, the canal, the River Cherwell and the main Oxford to
Neithrop, Grimsbury and Easington, now lost in 20th century developments, are still recognisably separate from Banbury town itself. Neithrop comprises what is now Boxhedge Road, Union Street, Nursery Lane and the northern end of Bath Road (Paradise Road). Easington is nothing more than a few houses.
The bulk of the town lies to the east of the Oxford Road, on the low land by the river. There is no cemetery (Southam Road Cemetery does not open until 1858) and the southernmost point of the town is Old Parr Road. Bodicote (note the old spelling) and Drayton, now almost swallowed up, look as though they are a good hour's walk away.
And of course the town has no cross. The present Banbury Cross was not built until 1859.
Below is an
extract from the Boundary Commission's report of 1837 which shows the borough
This report gives the population of the area as follows in 1831:
Banbury borough: 3,737
Most maps used
on this site were published by the Ordnance Survey and are reproduced here
under licence 100053496 for educational and research puposes only. Contact