An extract from
"New Map of the County of Oxford, from an actual survey", 1797 by Richard
Davis of Lewknor, Topographer to his Majesty.
Richard Davis was born in Oxfordshire in 1750. In 1786 he was appointed Topographer to King George III. His map of the County of Oxford, on sixteen sheets at a scale of 2 inches to a mile, was published in 1797.
The new Oxford Canal, completed in 1790, can be seen alongside the River Cherwell
to the east of the town.
Although there is no cross, the Broughton Road still meets the High Street at a crossroads, near St Mary's Church. Further south, the Bloxham Road is visible, passing Crouch Hill to the south west. What is now Old Parr Road connects Easington with the town centre. Parsons Street, to the north of the church, is visible, as is the Market Place.
Between the Broughton Road and the Warwick Road lies "Neithorp" (Neithrop). This hamlet appears to consist of what is now Foundry Street, Boxhedge Road and the north end of Bath Road (formerly Paradise Road).
Southam Road cemetery was not constructed until 1858, so burials would have taken place in churchyards. This makes what is now the Three Pigeons Inn, a 17th century coaching inn, probably the northernmost building in the town.
The railway has not yet arrived in Banbury, but by 1850 the town will have two railway stations.
Most maps used
on this site were published by the Ordnance Survey and are reproduced here
under licence 100053496 for educational and research puposes only. Contact