An extract from
Thomas Kitchen's 1765 map of Oxfordshire, taken from Kitchen’s English
Atlas: Or, A Compleat Set of Maps Of All The Counties of England and Wales
... The Whole engraved ... By Thomas Kitchen, Geographer to His Royal Highness
the Duke of York.
Thomas Kitchen, eldest son of a hat-dyer, was born in London in 1719. He was apprenticed to a map engraver, and by 1773 had risen to become hydrographer to King George III.
This beautiful coloured extract shows the town of Banbury in 1765 at the centre of a network of "great or direct post roads". These include the Stratford-upon-Avon road through Drayton to the north-west, the road to Chipping Campden through Shetford (Shutford) to the west, and the road south through Adderbury, Aynoe (Aynho) and Croughton. The stagecoach was the primary form of "fast" travel between towns at this time. The first stage of the Oxford Canal to reach Banbury (the section between Hawkesbury Junction to the north of Coventry and Banbury) would not open until 1778.
Villages such as Shenington are not shown on this map, as being part of Warwickshire at the time.
The Heyfords, to the south of Banbury, appear here as Heyford Warren (Upper Heyford) and Heyford Purcell (Lower Heyford). 'Warren' dates from the 12th century when Warin Fitzgerald was lord of the manor, while "Purcell" originates with the prominent local Purcell family. These names have disappeared by 1833.
NB. This map
does not appear in the Banbury "side-by-side"
section as it
provides little detail of the town itself.
Most maps used
on this site were published by the Ordnance Survey and are reproduced here
under licence 100053496 for educational and research puposes only. Contact